Monday, October 29, 2007

Holy Buck!

Yesterday while out paddling in Esquimalt harbour, Paula suddenly saw something and pointed. "What's that swimming in the water?" she called.

We looked over and there was something swimming. Our first thought, of course, was that it was a duck or a seagull, but it was moving too fast. Our brains were trying were trying to match shapes we were familiar with to this totally unfamilar shape. Dog? Cat? Ocelot? Hippoptamus? This picture is blurry, but it gives a sense of the puzzlement we felt as we tried to figure out what we were looking at. Finally, I said, "Deer!"

I was close.

It was a deer, alright.

A big buck with a big rack.

If you've ever wanted to see a big buck shake himself dry after a swim, here's your chance.

I'm no good for estimating the size of this guy, but he was big. And fast. If we had been racing in the water, him swimming and me in my kayak, I'd be hard-pressed to think that I might win.

Just when you start thinking that this kayaking business is getting ho-hum...oh yeah, more seals and eagles...like, I'm so booored of that scene....nature gives you another gift.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:35 p.m.

    Cool! Thanks for posting these pics....

    ReplyDelete